ZAMBOANGA SIBUGAY ART AWARDS
ABOUT THE COMPETITION
Zamboanga Sibugay Province is envisioned to become the hub of trade, industry and culture in Zamboanga Peninsula. History, heritage, and culture are recognized as important aspects of national pride and identity, thus the Zamboanga Sibugay Art Awards, aspires to inspire, support, and promote regional and national artists who have roots in Zamboanga Sibugay Province.
OBJECTIVE OF THE COMPETITION
The first ZSAA is a painting competition, which aims:
- To support the development of local and national art by increasing national and regional exposure for artists who are residents of Zamboanga Sibugay Province (ZWP) or who have roots from SZP.
- To encourage, inspire, and reward creative works by local, and national artists, with an intent to nurture talent and artistic expression primarily through visual arts;
- To provide a platform for recognition of local, regional and national artists through the exhibition of their artistic output at the Zamboanga Sibugay Provincial Museum and affiliated art galleries.
COMPETITION RULES & REGULATIONS
- All participants to the ZSAA 2023 competition must complete the ZSAA KETHULING 2023 Entry Form in submitting their entries.
- Fill up Google Form https://forms.gle/Y9Uuw1SvnjgmMWq2A
- Please read all the mechanics, rules, and regulations carefully. Non – compliant entries on any of the stipulated rules and regulations will be disqualified.
- The ZSAA is a nationwide painting competition that is divided into three phases:
PHASE 1 – November 27, 2022: Start of submission of all entries through a clear photo of the actual artwork. Digital paintings or enhanced images of the actual artwork will not be accepted. Deadline submission of entries and of receiving of actual artworks that is included in the top 10 February 15, 2022. All entries must be sent weeks prior to this deadline. Make sure that your artwork gets to the organizers before this date
PHASE 2 – February 20, 2023: Selection of the top 10 paintings.
February 22, 2023: Announcement of top 10 entries.
PHASE 3 – February 24, 2023: Announcement and Awarding of Winners.
IMPORTANT: An Artist May Submit ONLY ONE Entry.
- The competition is open to all Filipino citizens who are 15 years old and above as of November 10, 2022. As proof of age and citizenship, all entrants must submit any valid student’s ID, government- issued document or identification card (ID) showing birth date and citizenship e.g. photocopy of the artist’s birth certificate, passport, driver’s license, etc. when submitting their entries. An artist must submit proof of residency or roots in Zamboanga Sibugay Province. In case of root-tracing, the artist must submit his valid ID plus the accompanying documentation of his relationship to the Sibugaynon resident plus the relative’s proof of residency. e.g. Residence Certificate or cedula, Birth Certificate, Passport, Barangay Certificate, Driver’s License, or any other valid gov’t-issued document or ID showing residence.
- Professional and non-professional artists are eligible to join the competition.
- Participation in the competition is FREE.
- Employees of the Zamboanga Sibugay Provincial Capitol, and relatives of Governor Dulce Ann K. Hofer (up to the second level of consanguinity and affinity) their affiliates, distributors, advertising and promotions agencies, companies involved in the production of program materials and the implementation of the competition, their agents, are not eligible to participate in the competition.
- ACCEPTABLE ENTRIES
- Paintings using oil, acrylic, and mixed media on canvas only. (Any other artistic medium or visual art medium such as digital painting, digital 3D art and animation, videos, film and/or motion picture, sculpture, installation art, etc. will not be accepted.)
- The theme for this painting awards is “The Origin of Sibugay”
- Each artist may submit ONLY ONE Entry.
- Only ORIGINAL and RECENT works will be accepted. Recent works painted before 2020 will not be accepted.
- Previously exhibited works are allowed, except for those which have been previously entered in any national, regional, or international competition.
- Canvas size requirements have to be followed. All entries must NOT EXCEED or FALL SHORT of the following measurements:
OPTION 1: (MAXIMUM SIZE) the painting must not exceed 6 feet by 6 feet in height and width.
OPTION 2: (MINIMUM SIZE) the painting should not fall short of 4 feet by 4 feet in height and width.
- Works must be sturdy enough to withstand the rigors of multiple travel and handling.
The works must be ready for exhibition, and should not require re-assembly or retouch.
- WORKS those are NON-ACCEPTABLE
- Works using dangerous, illegal/prohibitive, hazardous materials and the like;
- Works using endangered botanical, zoological and marine specimens;
- Works using precious metals and stones;
- Fragile or brittle, and unfinished works including wet works;
- Works with incomplete documentation;
- Altered works to conform with size limitations;
- Works that have any alterations, revisions, additions, subtractions after photograph/documentation was taken and submitted or any discrepancy between the actual artwork and the photograph submitted;
- The Organizer reserves the right at its sole and absolute discretion, not to accept and/or disqualify any entry not meeting certain artistic and competition requirements or violating competition rules and regulations.
- PHASE 1 of the competition, paintings that conform to the above guidelines shall be submitted or mailed to Venus M. Verdeflor, Capitol Building , Ipil Height, Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay. Optionally, photographs and digital capture of the artworks can be submitted to [email protected]. The Organizers will start accepting official entries from October 28, 2022. The ZSAA Panel of Judges shall then select 20 finalists from the submitted artworks and photographs.
- PHASE 2 of the competition, all 10 chosen paintings of the 10 finalists have to be submitted to Venus Verdeflor of the ZSAA office at Capitol Building , Ipil Height, Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay. Finalist who opted to submit photos of their paintings have to send their actual artwork before the Organizer’s specified date of receiving artworks. Actual artworks received after the deadline (February 15, 2023) will be disqualified.
- VIOLATIONS/DISQUALIFICATION. Any participant or entry found to have violated the competition rules and regulations shall be disqualified from the competition.
- FAILURE TO MEET STANDARDS. The Organizer reserves the right not to award any of the stipulated prizes should entries fail to meet competition rules and standards.
- WITHDRAWAL OF PRIZES. Organizer further reserves the right to withdraw any or all of the stipulated prizes should artists or entries are found to have not met competition rules and standards.
- All winning works will become the property of the Organizer. The Organizer can reproduce the works in full or in part for the press, television, including internet websites and pages, and/or publicity materials (i.e. catalogue, brochures, cards, etc. before, during and/or after competition season).
PHASE 1: INSTRUCTIONS ON SUBMISSION OF ARTWORK
PART 1. SUBMISSION OF ORIGINAL ARTWORK
Original Paintings shall be sent to the organizer at this address: Capitol Building, Ipil Heights, Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay Province. All entries should be sent starting on November 24, 2022 and must include the Completed ENTRY REQUIREMENTS comprising of the following:
- ENTRY FORM DATA SHEET (completely filled up and with photo of artist and painting)
- Proof of age and citizenship of artist (photocopy of any valid government-issued document showing age and citizenship e.g. passport, certificate of birth, etc.)
- Proof of Residence (photocopy of any valid government-issued document showing residence e.g. Residence Certificate (cedula), passport, certificate of birth, etc.)
- Complete description of artwork including dimensions, and medium.
- AFFIDAVIT (MUST BE NOTARIZED)
IMPORTANT: An Artist may submit ONLY ONE Entry. Artists found to have submitted multiple entries will be disqualified.
Part 2. OPTION FOR ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION OF ARTWORKS
Entries shall be submitted to the official ZSAA link: https://forms.gle/Y9Uuw1SvnjgmMWq2A
To be submitted via Google form are the following:
1. Completed GOOGLE ENTRY FORM comprising of the following:
a.) GOOGLE ENTRY FORM (completely filled up and with a 2’X2’ photo of the artist)
b.) Proof of age and citizenship of artist (photocopy of any valid government-issued document showing age and citizenship e.g. passport, certificate of birth, driver’s license etc.)
c.) Proof of Residence (photocopy of any valid government-issued document showing residence e.g. Residence Certificate (cedula), passport, certificate of birth, driver’s license etc.)
2. Photograph of the Painting. File size should not be less than 1080 pixels.
a.) Complete description of artwork including title, dimensions, and medium.
CRUCIAL INSTRUCTIONS ON PHOTOGRAPH OF ARTWORK:
1. When taking the photograph of artwork, put a steel measuring tape beside the artwork in a vertical orientation. Strictly follow the minimum and maximum size requirements.
2. Photograph taken must be of the final artwork. Do not physically alter or revise artwork after it has been submitted electronically. Alterations, additions or modifications will disqualify an entry.
3. Do not digitally alter the photograph using Photoshop or any other image editing software. Any alteration automatically disqualifies the entry.
Deadline for submission of actual artworks and electronic submission of photographs:
February 15, 2023. Cut-off date for receiving all artworks February 15, 2023 at 5:00PM
2. PHASE TWO: SELECTION OF 20 FINALISTS & SUBMISSION OF ACTUAL PAINTINGS
1. The 10 Finalists shall be notified via email and text message on February 18, 2023.
2. Finalists must submit actual artwork to Venus Verdeflor, Capitol Building , Ipil Heights, Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay Province. For final verification of sizes, review of entry documents, and compliance of rules & regulations.
3. The actual painting has to be sent to the organizer starting on January 12, 2022.
4. Final Artworks have to be at the Organizer’s Holding Facility by February 15, 2023, otherwise they will be disqualified.
5. From the 20 Finalists, the ZSAA Panel of Judges will select: The Governor’s Choice Award, The Choice of Distinction Award winner, The Choice of Inspiration Award winner.
6. Seven Consolation Prize (Aspiration Awards) will also be chosen.
PHASE 3: JUDGING CRITERIA & ANNNOUNCEMENT OF WINNERS
ZSAA shall convene a Panel of Judges to select winners for MOGLUKULIT 2023, ZAMBOANGA SIBUGAY ART AWARDS. The Panel of Judges will include artists and art curators from Manila and Cebu. All decisions of the ZSAA Panel of Judges are FINAL.
Judging Criteria shall be adopted as follows:
a) Creative Use of the Medium or Media
b) Expression & Technique
c) Artistic Perception & Mode of Interpretation of the given theme:
THE LEGEND OF SIBUGAY
1) The Zamboanga Sibugay Art Awardee will receive Php. 100,000.00 and token.
2) The Choice for Distinction Awardee will receive Php. 75,000.00 and token.
3) The Choice for Inspiration Awardee will receive Php. 50,000.00 and a token.
4) Each of 7 the Aspiration Awardees will receive a token and cash price.
5) The rest of the finalists will receive a plaque of appreciation.
RETRIEVAL OF ENTRIES
1. The remaining finalist’s works which did not qualify for the ZSAA shall be returned. They must be retrieved by artists from the Organizers within 180 days.
2. Retrieval schedule shall be posted on ZSAA Facebook page.
3. Artists must present RETRIEVAL PASS with accompanying ID’s to the Provincial Art Storage Center. To authorize a representative, please provide the following:
a. Authorization Letter signed by the artist
b. Retrieval Pass
c. Photocopy of artist’s valid ID
d. Photocopy of Representative’s valid ID
4. Entries not collected on designated dates become property of the Organizer.
5. The Organizer will then dispose of the artworks in whatever way they deem fit.
AWARDING & EXHIBITION OF WINNERS
1. On February 24, 2023, an Awarding Ceremony shall be held at the Provincial Capitol.
2. The Ten Winning paintings shall be exhibited at the Provincial Museum for at least a month.
3. The Artwork that wins the Zamboanga Sibugay Art Award will be displayed prominently at the Provincial Museum.
ACCEPTANCE OF RULES, REGULATIONS AND SELECTION PROCEDURES
1. Submission of entry signifies acceptance of all rules, regulations and selection process of the competition.
2. While all possible care will be taken by Organizer, the Exhibit Venue, the Art Forwarder, they shall assume no responsibility for any loss or damage to the entries before, during and/or after the competition.
email: [email protected]
Renaire Maratas 0951-467-8888
Venus Verdiflor 0936-954-9552
Ludwig Bethnicer Napigkit 0915-482-6025
Gerry Alcazar 0920-637-3838
Like us Facebook: Zamboanga Sibugay Art Awards
Download the official Entry Form for
The Zamboanga Sibugay Art Awards
Click here to submit your entry